Tuesday, June 30, 2015

The Eyes Have It

Reference photo
I had the pleasure of giving a drawing demonstration at Jerry's Artarama in Virginia Beach this past Saturday where I teach a weekly drawing class. I chose a reference photo from morguefile.com, a great resource for copyright free photos. I quickly blocked in my major shapes at home before the demo simply to save a few minutes. This is how far I got after about two hours, working on 14x17" Canson drawing paper. I prefer to work in layers, slowly building up my values to ensure that they all work together and to make sure I don't get
ahead of myself overworking a single area. Keep in mind that the only part of the drawing that won't have at least some level of shading is the highlight in the iris. I've already given the entire "white" of the eye a light layer of shading. You can see the beginning spherical shape of the eyeball just from my initial layers. My next step will be to finish the pupil and bring it to its final value. Since it's the darkest area in the whole drawing, it'll help anchor the rest of my value scale.

No comments:

Post a Comment